(1) Headlines: “Someone is #1”
Bloomberg Business Week releases their list of the Top U.S. Business Schools. The ranking is based one 3 stats.
- 5. Standford
- 4. Kelloggg
- 3. Wharton
- 2. Harvard
- 1. Chicago Booth
Tom - Why is this #1?
Miro - Because it’s #1. Combo of rankings of graduates, recruiters, and the publications of the faculty?
Why do you care about this list
Tom - Pedigree
Miro - Education?
Tom - This list has nothing to do with education. People at the end of the day really care what other people think of the value of their degree. It’s a component of self-worth.
Miro - So, part of the reason you’re going to a b7 business school is that it makes you feel better about yourself?
Shouldn’t you be embarrassed to admit that?
I’m not because I know that secretly, everyone else feels this way too.
Riffing on b-school: Least challenging curriculum at MIT. But most expensive!!!
(2) Howard Says (With the ACTUAL Howard)
Welcome one of our idols. A legend in the East Coast investment Community .... Howard Anderson … Howard founded Yankee Group and co-founded Battery Ventures. Battery was an early investor in A123 systems, the largest IPO in the U.S. last year.
Put the photo paper over his face and then throw it away.
-Tell us your favorite lie
Bobble head joke
Like the cut away scenes with the mentor from Jerry Maguire. The guy with the catch pearls of wisdom: “If this is empty. This doesn’t matter.”
You went to business school when capitalism was invented. Maanagment education must be light years better since then?
Alot of people in the audience want to be VC’s. What’s it like Howard, is it worth it?
Howard, you are independently wealthy. Why do you teach?
One of the things you’re famous for is spotting good entrepreneurs. What are the qualities of a good entrepreneur, and who shouldn’t be be an entrepreneur?
(3) Jargon: FOMO
Fear of Missing Out
(4) Contest Announcements:
- The Wake Forest - 36 hour - MBA Marketing Summit Case Competition - Registration opens Nov 11the for the Competion in February - 4-7 full time MBA students per team - http://business.wfu.edu/default.aspx?id=608
- MIT $100K Executive Summary Competition - at least one student from a New England School - Dec 2 - www.mit100k.org
- 2011 Rice Business Plan Competition - Most prize money of any competition registration open Nov 15 - closes Feb 4 - http://alliance.rice.edu/alliance/RBPC.asp
(5) Business School Tip of the week:
Ask for a refund
(6) What's on your Radar
Tom: Preview Screening of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part IHoward: Going to Vermont